Music recommendation thread

ITT: recommend some bops

3 Likes

This one has gotta be one of my favourite YouTube recommended-core tracks. It's really comfy sounding and works perfectly with cute animal video memes

4 Likes

The original tune is great, but I love the atmosphere of this mix. It sounds like being awake in bed at 4am to me

2 Likes

That was really smooth and chill. Very nice

1 Like

The YouTube algorithm really seems to favour Japanese and Japanese-adjacent aesthetics. Beyond the huge part it played in pushing Floral Shoppe to wider audiences, I wonder how much it did to nourish the Vapour scene in general.

Recently I got recommended Macroblank, who seems to be putting out some fairly new chill plunderphonic albums:

They seem to be picking up the torch from Haircuts for Men — another latter-day Vapour plunderer — right down to the fact that the original upload of this album (which was the one I got recommended) has already been copyright struck. I also really like some of Haircuts for Men's work, so...

2 Likes

Ayo I've been getting these guys recommended too! I have no idea who they are but it's really cool

1 Like

Is this just modern relevant of the radio?

I always used youtube-core to refer to future bass and related EDM with anime girls (sometimes called kawaii bass (yes this is a genre)). A different radio channel if you will.
Artists like Snail House, Camillia, Kobaryo, Nanahira and others i can't think of.

An interesting side effect is that 'normies' sometimes don't understand they didn't find a genre of music but it found them and they feel like they discovered something special, an automated, almost curated experience of discovery of sorts.

3 Likes

Youtube sent me this one a few years back

I love how it took a music sample that was textually supposed to be super simplistic, and made it an actual chill tune. It was while I was on a big synthwave/chillwave binge, and the recommendation algorithm manage to intersect that with another one of my interests at the time.

1 Like

ayo this came up on my recommended as well and I listened to it way back.

This kind of stuff is a part of a subgenre in chillwave (?) that's always quite straight about using the remixed materials (usually cartoons) as an aesthetic, rather than hinting at some subversive or critical message (often a hallmark of vaporwave).

yeah, the Haircuts for Men influence is BIG and I'm all here for it. One of my favorite releases in this kind of style is Forbidden Fruit :b

1 Like

Very nice! It intuitively feels a little higher-effort than the later Haircuts for Men stuff, and maybe even Macroblank. Then again, I have no frame of reference given that I've not heard what they're sampling before. I also notice that their avatar and little bio on bandcamp are very similar to Macroblank's, which is interesting — I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if it was an alias.

In general I feel quite ambivalently about the whole 'Barber Beats' thing: it brings up bad memories of all of the low-quality releases that flooded (and arguably 'killed') vaporwave, even though it is much lovelier to listen to. I would liken it to downtempo Future Funk, insofar as it's really concerned with, and really good at, inducing one particular affect / vibe / aesthetic, but beyond that is kind of devoid of any further critique or statement.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

Heard this on Spotify and it's surprisingly good

Honourable mention to p Sherman 32 wallaby way Sydney Spotify

1 Like

LMAO

1 Like

I always think I like DnB after hearing Spor, but I can't find any artists I like after searching through playlists. I do a lot of writing to this mix though

1 Like

I wanna post later something i wrote about the idea of "penis music" and meme music in general, but i found out about this song through a Touhou meme and i cant stop listening to it for like,,, 2 months. I dont even play Touhou!

1 Like

This is one of my favorites of all time. プリオシンの浜辺 or "Pliocene Beach" is 18 minutes of pleasant harp music and ocean waves

1 Like

A "Best of 2021" mix by Sleepzot, a Korean indie music collector whose identity seems to be a mystery. He uploads tons of good stuff on his channel that are often impossible to find elsewhere (especially 2000s K-punk and K-hip hop), so I recommend following him.