Do you run a memepage?

I see some pages that were really big back in the day posting all the time at effectively zero people. The feedback loop of audience interaction and rapid-fire content was so good at sharpening people's taste in memes. I think Twitter is also really good at this by design, and they managed to successfully lean into it.

Facebook didn't, partly because it was busy capturing the Next Billion Users as Google puts it; people coming online for the first time. That's bad news for a subculture that prizes esoteric and sophisticated taste in content that's often deliberately hostile to monetisation.

3 Likes

I run Cambridge Department of Memes. I used to relentlessly spam my friend group discords a lot with memes I thought were funny. One day one of them called my memes cringe. I was devastated. Few days later I created my meme page. I’ve had it for less than a year and already reached 23k likes, which isn’t a lot but I’m pleased with its rapid growth.

It’s been a big learning process. I spend a lot of time hunting for memes that will please my audience, but also have to make sure I don’t get zucced. Inadvertently I notice meme trends pretty quickly now. It’s amazing what random things will spread like wildfire.

2 Likes

I like Cambridge Department of Memes. It's a nice page with a great theme that lets you be flexible about the content you post. Hilarious origin story about the Discord server as well lmao.

I love hearing about the intuitions that memepage admins develop. It's probably one of the most valuable skills in memeing; it's a kind of mechanical sympathy about the system of users, the algorithm, and the platform.

1 Like